Thursday, August 25, 2011

Raw Apple Pie!


I stumbled across this raw apple pie recipe the other day and decided to try it out and I am sooooo glad I did! Not only is it delicious but it is so much healthier for you then normal apple pie. Instead of a food processor I used my Magic Bullet which I LOVE!!!! I also didn't dehydrate my apples so I got more of a "applesauce" texture, and I used walnuts instead of almonds. You can still make the recipe if you don't have a food processor or dehydrator -just modify!!

Ingredients

7 small fuji apples
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dates
1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
1 raw pie crust recipe (see below)
Roughly chop 5 apples and pulse them in the food processor until they are in tiny pieces. Pour the lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon over them and dehydrate them on low for a few hours. In a blender blend 2 finely chopped apples (add to the blender first), 1 cup dates, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest to make an apple sauce. Mix the applesauce and the dehydrated apples in a bowl. Pour the mixture into a piecrust. Refrigerate for at least two hours.

Basic Almond Raw Pie Crust

1 and 1/2 cups raw almonds*
1 cup pitted dates
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
1 vanilla bean seeds scooped out (optional)
Process almonds in a food processor with the s blade until a coarse almond flour. Add the dates, coconut oil, and cinnamon to the food processor and process with the s blade until the mixture forms dough. Press the dough into a pie pan. *For a crispier crust you can soak the nuts and then dehydrate them before using.


No comments:

Post a Comment